Thursday 31 January 2008

Writing a proposal

There's the opportunity to present my research to fellow associate lecturers (ALs) in my region. But first I have to write a proposal for the presentation. This has to be an anonymous 200-word abstract giving the title and outline the content of the presentation. So I've taken the abstract from my Masters and tried to rewrite it for the AL audience. Then I emailed it to Dimitra, who has offered writing help. She was absolutely excellent, both in the comments that she emailed back and in the hour and a half she spent discussing my writing with me, pointing out the ambiguities, the points I hadn't made or needed to make clearer, as well as the order in which I made them. The discussion brought to the fore that my original abstract didn't mention the important finding about the difficulties of access, the need for constant negotiation for access, and how that both suggested a reason for lack of empirical evidence of public accountability and implied difficulties for future research.

No comments: