Wednesday 13 February 2008

Concise writing

Had a supervisory today. Supervisor #1 commented that you could see I had a mathematical background because I was too concise!

I'd given them about 4000 words to read on accountability, institutionalism and competing logics and also on client-consultant relationships. Too much! Too curt! Although I was particularly interested in Peled's paper that looked at the pyramid of bureaucrat-consultant-outsourcer, I had written only a couple of sentences on it.

Successful supervision - I've got a steer towards a general question about the evaluation of effective use of consultants in the public sector, and want to look especially at IT consultants because that's the biggest sector that UK consultants work in. It also fits in with an interview I have next week with the VP of a big IT company.

Practised interviews this afternoon in the participatory video workshop.

Need to practise less concise writing...


Peled, D. A. 2001. Outsourcing and Political Power: Bureaucrats, Consultants, Vendors and Public Information Technology. Public Personnel Management, 30(4): 495.

No comments: