Sunday 17 February 2008

First presentation

The OUBS post grads have this year decided to practise presenting amongst themselves. I find the idea of presenting pretty terrifying but know these people, and their advice and opinions are invaluable, so I've got to do it. Anyhow, the two third years and some of the second years have already presented as well as one of my fellow first years. So I spent half an hour telling them what I did for my Master's last year. I hoped my experience would help the Master's students and the content be interesting to all.

What did I learn from the experience of presenting?
  • that I probably know the answers to their questions already
  • that I should write down their questions so that I can think through more considered responses for another time
  • that I can talk about my own topic for ages, quite happily to anyone who cares to listen.
  • that I need to book a laptop and get IT to set things up
  • that you can never guess what questions people will ask
I finished more confident that I could do this again, but the same day had an email from the associate lecturers' staff development offfice. Sadly, the associate lecturers research conference that I'd proposed to present at, won't be happening because there weren't enough presenters.

No comments: