Wednesday 28 April 2010

Conceptual framework

Last autumn (here and here) I developed a conceptual framework from the literature. Now I've written up five cases against it, I'm pleased to find the data confirms my arguments for the framework.

I've incorporated a number of factors in the framework and grouped them into two dimensions, (dimensions because you can't have one without the other, and I'm mimicking Nahapiet & Ghoshal's term for describing social capital). The two dimensions are:
  • communication
  • knowledge-ability
Communication requires participants, an environment, something shared and negotiation of meaning.
Knowledge-ability (from {Wenger, 1998 }) requires expertise or skills, the ability to contribute expertise and the ability to adapt with it.

I think you need all these components to have engagement that eases the process of IT projects.


WENGER, E. (1998) Communities of practice: Learning, meaning, and identity, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.

No comments: