Friday 16 November 2007

Supervision preparation

I have a supervision next week so need to put together what I got from the last supervisions (met supervisors separately) and indicate where I'm up to.

My topic seems to indicate that I’m investigating two areas:
  1. Organisations
  2. Accountability

The organisations are public organisations and use external management consultants. Accountability may be public but if it exists, it is expressed within and by a public organisation. Starting points then are visibility and power to account. My supervisors have consequently made recommendations relevant to these areas:

  1. Find a review of the literature on accountability
  2. Search for literature on organisational development interventions and the intangibility of management consultancy work.

Initial literature:

  • Public Policy and Administration vol 21 no 3 Autumn 2006 special issue on public accountability in a new institutional environment
  • Lukes, (1974 & 2005) Power: a radical view

These texts are leading me to consider

  • institutional logic,
  • the power of the invisible,
  • the effect of intangibility and
  • the resulting undiscussability.

No comments: