Tuesday 22 September 2009

Where am I positioning my research in the literature?

Someone asked me:
Where are you positioning this research in the literature?
I stuttered. So he suggested:
In HR? or in organisational behaviour?
Feeling really thick, I can't answer this question, but have in my mind a memory of a Venn diagram I had had on my wall, but removed. Perhaps it was just the wording of the question that threw me, but if the examiner asks me at the viva, I'll have to think of diagrams and answer with those in my mind. The answer would have been about scoping the literature,

There's advice here: http://www.monash.edu.au/lls/hdr/write/5.7.3.html on positioning yourself in relation to the existing literature. If you can tell the examiner where your work fits in, then you get the PhD.

No comments: